Translate

Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Questionable Faith

I have weak faith. It's not because of any tragedy that had happened to me, rather
I'm becoming more logical as each year I age.

When I was a child there were doctrines in the Catholic faith that I wondered of their genuineness. Things like
one God in three different persons, story of creation, Mary's divine intercession, etc. I asked them to my parents and they would try to answer them in my own level of understanding. I would notice that they sometimes don't know the answers to them. Still I believed in what they said and in what was taught of me in catechism. I couldn't absorb all that was taught so I blindingly believed in it. 

In later years, my faith was challenged with the statement thrown to us by our professor in theology. He said that we had our religion due to our parents' decision. Furthermore, we did not choose to have the religion that we want. It was imposed to us by our parents hence we inherit their religion. Since then I have been bothered of what he said. I thought to myself, what if I chose the God I wanted.

Just few years ago, a friend of mine has influenced me in doubting my faith. He too is logical but on a higher plane than I am. He is indeed very good in analyzing facts and only believes in things that have been verified through science. Although he is computer major, I know that he has more knowledge in most branches in science than I do. In fact he knows the theory of evolution better than me. He would confidently post on Facebook his logic on the falsehood on some of the Catholic Church's doctrines. He would even post funny yet striking images such as directly questioning God's existence. I felt he defied his parents' on their coercion of being in with their faith. In my own world I label him as the new-era Martin Luther.

I was shocked with his very brave move. I knew that if he can do it, so can I. But I am not a very strong person. I still have a very weak conviction in what I think is right or wrong. If ever he turns out to be the next big reformist, I would be his follower.

Today, there are a lot of people like him. The very famous one is Dan Brown. He wrote books that directly attack the Church's teachings. His magnum opus "The DaVinci Code" is the most known of his creations. I never read any of his books but I do know the intrigues of the church that he mentioned.

But I do have a book that is somewhat related to it. A book entitled "The Gospel According to Dan Brown". Written by Dunn and Rubeck, the book compares Brown's and The Bibles' stories. The title itself mislead me to buying it. Though I have read only a few pages, it subliminally criticizes Brown's works and ideologies.



I will finish this book as it might have the answers to my questions. Who knows it might turn me back into a true believer... or an atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment