Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Brownout = Kick in the Face

I hate it when people interchange two different words as if they are synonymous. I can't blame them, they don't research as often as I do. A very good example is Blackout vs Brownout. It boils my blood to hear people use these words interchangeably. I just want to kick them in the face!



To clear the confusion I will define each according to what I've known after extensive research. 
Blackout is the total loss of electricity. In contrast, brownout is the fluctuation of lights due to temporary reduction of electricity. 

Common people use blackout. I remember my cousin jokingly corrected younger kids in our neighborhood on the use of the two. He said that it's blackout since everything appears black not brown. Well if you ask me, it should be "lightout". I don't need to explain it, you're a genius. 

Those who use brownout are trying to play smart over others. They think that it's more sophisticated to use this term stead of the former. I've heard it from kids too. Perhaps their teachers or parents never told them or even know the difference of the two.

I quite remember this topic brought about during my high school years. Someone from our class asked this to our English teacher. As if he would know anything about electricity. Despite of, our teacher answered it with full confidence in himself. From what I can recall he said a brownout is a small coverage blackout. As implied blackout is widespread loss of electricity. We were all convinced of his explanation. It did become our word for the day.

I knew of the truth in some TV show. And from that day onward, I never misused the two. Then I remembered my teacher's explanation, I was so dismayed. What the hell?! Obviously, he's not the right person to be asked in the first place, should've been our Physics teacher. Still, both words are defined in English dictionaries (and they're not the same there).

Now you know. Next time a loss of electricity occurs use the term "blackout". You'll never know that I might kick you in the face when I hear you uttering "brownout" stead.

No comments:

Post a Comment