Translate

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Self-Hypnosis Exposed

Boredom caught me, I didn't know what to do. I went to YouTube to search for fun videos. While on the site, I had no idea what to look for. I remembered the hypnosis video I watched to help me sleep. I typed in the keyword to look for it. Yes, I found it but
opted not to click on it. On the related videos, one video caught my attention. "Hypnosis: Are you Hypnotizables? Try this and See", a video that claims to determine your hynotizable tendency through self-hypnosis. I was intrigued and watched it. I wanted to test if their claim was true.

I observed that the "Queen of Hypnosis" wasn't looking directly at the camera. She might be reading notes or she might be nervous to face a real audience. In spite of, I watched and followed her simple instructions. I clasped both hands with fingers interlaced. Then I set both pointing fingers far apart. (watch video for precise instructions). It did work!


At first I was amazed. But my skeptic nature made me wonder the logic behind such phenomena. Once again I watched it and tried to defy the so-called "self-hypnosis". It was hard yet I succeeded. 

My observation was that the second trial will make a difference. The thing needed is your mind's will. You need to focus on not doing what she says. Also, having some background in anatomy and physiology I was able to come up with a rough theory. The exercise relied on the body's natural tendency in such condition. Without watching the video you can try to do it and end up with same result. It's because our pointing fingers, in this position, is not relaxed and will eventually get tired. For it to be relaxed, it must touch each other. A good comparison is lifting your hands vs. letting your hands down vertically.

Moreover, I have a theory behind its title. The hypnosis there is not on the simple exercise. You can tell by the video description itself if you read in between the lines. They try if you're hypnotizable through making you believe on the exercise. You are if you get convinced. In addition, I think they try to hypnotize you into visiting their site. How? Once you believe in their claim then you'll easily fall for whatever they suggest you.

I am not a psychologist nor do I have a background on such topics. Please don't take my write-up seriously. I mentioned that all written above is only my theory. It's up to you whether to believe in me or not. You are the only one who can tell what's right or wrong. No one can decide for you. Not even hypnosis can control your thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment