Translate

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How I Did My Very First Aerosol Flamethrower

Did you ever try to see if aerosols really are flammable? Well I did through making my own aerosol flamethrower and it was fun. You can do it on your own provided that you have safety gear. If you are a minor, seek guidance from older people. 




I won't be posting instructions on making a flamethrower, there are tons of them on the web. Furthermore, I don't want to be accused of plagiarism. I got the instructions from a video posted in this site, you can use other sites if you want.

As long as you have a flammable aerosol (see it's label), some lighted candle or any fire source you're good to go. Oh, please don't forget to wear safety gear such as lab gown, gloves, mask, and goggles. Yes, I wore those when I did the simple experiment, I looked like a mad scientist, and even hid behind a box at first that's why I'm still here. I'm so stupid, hiding behind a flammable object! I assume you have the proper safety gear, I'm confident that you'll be alive after doing the flamethrower. Also, do it in open space free of flammable items.

Aerosols are not flammable in nature. Rather its their propellant that is flammable. If you want to see the flame roar, spray the aerosol close to the fire source but not too close that it might cause explosion. I sprayed the aerosol very far from the candle that it didn't even cause the expected "flame". I tried to go closer and eventually the mini flame roared angrily. Don't be afraid, it is quite safe. I understand that it will give you the jitters especially if it is your first time. It made me nervous too when I did it for the first time.

I didn't record or take pictures of my stupidity. It would cause great embarrassment on how I looked with all the safety gears. And with how I tried to spray at almost a meter away from the candle.

It's not as expected as in movies but at least you made your own flamethrower and saw the flames. I bet you can't even burn somebody with it. But please don't scare people through spraying it on them as it might cause fire accidents. Or even try to burn your house down with it.

Good luck and always play with fire safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment