Translate

Monday, June 4, 2012

Cockroaches: How I Hated Them

I love insects! I hold them and even took care of them, even up to now. But there's this one insect that I can barely stand to see crawling or most especially flying...  These pests rapidly multiply in number and terrorize frequently at night.Yes, they are cockroaches! They may be small but for me they are scary.

Let me share to you a brief history of how i came to fear cockroaches. This fear of mine has started since I was a child. 

While I was in the kitchen, i don't remember what I was doing there, i felt a sudden tingling quickly moving on my right foot. I looked at my foot and saw that it was a cockroach. It ran inside my pajamas and I quickly jumped crazily (while crying) to dislodge it from its gripping on my leg. It took seconds for the intruder to fall down and ran away. For me those seconds were like minutes of torture. My parents came to see what had happened and I told them about the incident. My father was so mean, he laughed at me and said that it was just a cockroach, something that I am not to be afraid of. It felt so traumatic that every time I see cockroaches I run away wildly.


As I aged, I knew that this fear should be overcome. I came to ponder that it would be embarrassing if someone knew that I am afraid of such petite creature. My solution was to embolden myself every time I see one. It was a small leap yet it helped me a lot. 

Many say that when one is angry, he is not at his right self to think, I have experienced this myself. I have done things blindingly when I was angry. You may think that I'm a bit far off  as this has no connection to the post. Well, I partially overcame my fear (about 75%, according to myself) by using anger. I used anger to my advantage in getting rid of this phobia. I try to make myself angry and there I get the courage to whack them with a broom or slippers. It works all the time especially when I go to the kitchen for a drink and I see them. I have devised many ways to kill them while at state of rage. I squirt alcohol at them and light a fire to have them burned down to the core. I also spray them with pesticides until they die off. Lastly, if I get caught off guard while inside the bathroom (they roam everywhere at night) I shower them with water. By the time they get weary, I cover them with shaving cream.

"Cream covered Cockroach"

Reminds me of  "My Favorite Things" in Sound of Music.

... Cream colored ponies Cream covered cockroach and crisp apple strudels...

No comments:

Post a Comment